Friday, June 2, 2017

Lesson Planning

Like many of you, I am nearing the end of classes before student teaching. This means that I have had quite a few classes requiring the construction of a unit plan or lesson plans. I have found that they have gotten easier for me to write over time but that it also depends on what subject I am writing for. I have been gearing the lesson plans for my last few classes toward third grade because that is the grade level I will be student teaching. I am hoping I will be able to use some of these in the classroom! 
I seem to be most creative with my planning when I am making science lessons - this could be because it is my favorite subject. Do you have a subject that is easier to write plans for? Honestly, I have been struggling a bit making these language arts lessons exciting! My unit is teaching strategies to increase reading comprehension and, while there are plenty of strategies, it is harder than I thought to find something hands-on for it. 
My late summer class (and last class before student teaching!) will require math lesson plans and I am a bit nervous about those. Math has never been my strong subject and kids these days are learning much more than I remember learning. So I imagine I will be learning along with the students. 
It's important to remember that it is not what we want students to do, but what we want them to learn! 
http://www.teachertrap.com/2015/04/lesson-planning.html/ 

4 comments:

  1. I can totally relate about math. I don't think I am enrolled in the class yet. I had to have Daniel register my last classes and I don't think she got that one. I may be broke after vacation next week and not afford to pay for that class. I could take out a student loan, but I hate to. Last semester, in other classes, many students chose to do math units. Nothing complicated, first or second grade, maybe even kindergarten. They did a really good job presenting their lessons. They used some cute YouTube videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, it sounds like you're going to be in EDUC 358 with me next session. Cool! I'm excited for you, this being your last summer in class. I really enjoy math, but what I would suggest for you is to get the book as soon as you can (I used directtextbook.com) and read it thoroughly, practicing the steps and thinking through your own mental processes (do some metacognition). I had the book before and I started doing the math, and I had to keep reminding myself that it's not about whether I could do the math but whether I can follow the mental processes of the student and guide their thinking so that THEY can understand how to do it. I'm so silly. Anyway, what I'm saying is that it may be good that you don't feel confident in your math skills because then you'll be able to take note of what actually works for you and helps you understand it.
    Susan, you could sign up for an extended payment plan so that the cost of the class is broken up in two, giving you a little time to pay it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a book voucher for textbooks so I am waiting for CC to process that before I can buy the book. I'm glad to know someone who will be in the class with me!

      Delete
  3. You are going to do great in EDUC 358! Math is not my strongest subject either but I learned a lot writing lessons for math during that class. I would say language arts is my favorite area to write lessons for but I am struggling a little bit with the unit but I am knocking those plans out! I think I tried to do too much in ten lessons and once I simplified my craziest plan its really started to flow. Congrats on being so close to student teaching! This I my last session of classes and it feels pretty good!

    ReplyDelete